Sunday, December 28, 2014

Aga Khan Museum architecture

Before I get started, I thought I would share one more objet d'art from the Aga Khan Museum.

Perhaps it is a bit cheeky, but when I saw this coat:


I couldn't help but think of this Davie Bowie cover art.


Moving onwards, from the outside, the Aga Khan Museum is not terribly distinguished, though I assume when the trees are mature, it will be a nice plaza/entryway into the museum.  That's not really a major criticism, as it generally is a bad idea to spend more on the building than on the art within.


From the inside, however, there is quite a nice interior open-air courtyard.




In the last photo, you can even see the pastry bar.

I would say that the architecture is generally low-key and serves the needs of the museum without unduly calling attention to itself, so in that sense it is a success.  The museum has a number of nice side rooms (not pictured), and the main exhibit hall is airy.  Now whether at some point they will feel they need to expand to show more of the collection, it might be hard to grow, unless they add an underground gallery.  Still, I will keep my eyes open to see what else will be going on at the museum in 2015 and if the next special exhibit is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment