Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Bird has landed!

While it wasn't a primary reason for going to SFYS this past Monday, I was hoping to hear some information about the other Storefront Theatre productions.  Benjamin Blais actually did turn up midway through and pitched Deceitful Above All Things, which has been rehoused at Factory Theatre.  And someone else pitched Streetcar Named Desire at The Box, which I'm likely to go see in a few weeks.  However, not having more actors in the crowd meant that a bunch of other productions weren't pitched.  I didn't hear anything about Posner's Stupid F*cking Bird, and then Blais vanished before I could ask him at the end of the evening.

However, I have my answer now.  Stupid F*cking Bird is going to be at a pop-up theatre space on King (not far from where I used to work actually).  I'm so excited, perhaps even more than I was before due to the troupe overcoming adversity (or at least the loss of their space).

The play will run Feb. 28-March 19.  Details here.  I'm definitely going, probably the last week of previews.  It's quite remarkable how resilient the indy theatre scene is in Toronto.  I'm trying to pull together a group of actors that would be interested in putting on my plays and then tapping into this knowledge of how to mount shows on a shoestring.  It will be interesting to see if I can make it happen.

In other interesting news, I found out that Love and Information is going to go up at the Randolph Theatre as part of the Toronto Fringe this July.  Too early for more details or ticket sales, but this is definitely a must see for me this summer.  (Even though the play is generally said not to cohere as a whole, I still want to see what Churchill is up to.)  Now I just need to keep following along and see if Annie Baker's The Aliens actually turns up at Coal Mine in some form or another this April, which it should according to DPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment