Monday, September 23, 2024

Back from Stratford

I had a good time at Stratford.  I have to say I was overdressed in the sense that I was expecting fall weather, and indeed it rained a fair bit in Toronto.  However, it was like a summer day in Stratford with no rain at all!  It did make it a bit uncomfortable, as I was criss-crossing the downtown, but it did mean that the artists were out in the park.

Anyway, I had been warned, but getting there was a bit more difficult than normal because the Gardiner was closed, and we sort of crawled along on Lake Shore Blvd.  I had thought I would use the extra time to read more, but I was exceedingly tired, and also The Gold Bug Variations is an extremely slow burner.  I may still give up on it, as it just isn't grabbing me, though pages 50-100 are better than 1-50.

It's always interesting coming to Stratford.  Since I only do it once or so a year, the changes stand out a bit more.  It's been several years since the Pizza Pizza closed and was replaced with a Cat Cafe.  I still remember on one of my first trips back (2015 probably) that the 2nd (and more interesting to me) bookstore on the main drag was closing down.  I've seen a trendy vinyl place open up, but I don't go in because the prices are absurd.  Anyway, this time around I saw a new "bowl" place, though I didn't have time to try it, and a Mexican place.  I went in there and was able to get a burrito to go, since I was feeling a bit squeezed for time because we had gotten in about 30 minutes late.

I walked through the art in the park, and still had about 15 minutes to check out Gallery Stratford up past the Festival Theatre.  I'm not sure if they always had this admission fee, but it's now $12 for adults, which is well beyond what I think is reasonable for such a small gallery.  I think it probably used to be free, or perhaps a $5 donation.  I can't imagine going back at that price, so I won't have to quickstep in on my next visit.  (Honestly, we should get in free with proof that we are seeing a show at Stratford...)

London Assurance was good, though it does start a bit slow.  There was a point in the second half where I did nod off just a bit, though I don't think I missed more than a minute or two.  I actually bought the play at the gift shop and double-checked later, and if I did miss anything it was the somewhat dopey duel subplot.

I had dinner at the Thai place downtown that I usually eat out, since I can eat outside, which is nice, provided the weather cooperates.  I saw that Matilda Swanson Art Gallery, which was a new addition on my last trip, still is in business, so that was cool.  I ran in and had a quick look 'round.

I walked back to the Festival Theatre, and sat outside on some benches.  I did read a little bit but have to admit, the book just isn't all that interesting.  I set an alarm so I wouldn't miss my next play and perhaps I did nod off just a bit.

I enjoyed Twelfth Night a lot.  This production had not sold well (at least on this evening), and pretty much anyone sitting in the wings was moved in a section to fill in the audience a bit more.  That was pretty great.  This is perhaps the first production where Viola and Sebastian looked enough alike that it was actually believable they could be mistaken for each other (after you got past the height difference!).  I thought the "duel" between Auguecheek and Viola was very funny (they were in a boxing ring with boxing gloves on!).  One somewhat interesting twist is that Viola didn't turn back up in her women's garb either at the very end or at curtain call.  Typically she does, at least the productions that I remember.

It was another long trip back to the city, though I tried to sleep.  In the end, I didn't get back to downtown Toronto until 1:45, and then I still had to bike home, so I was very late and very weary.

Briefly, on Sunday, I did sleep for a while (though not enough).  I went to to the gym and did a very small grocery run after that (as I am off to Vancouver for pretty much the whole week!).  I biked over to Carlton Cinema and watched DiDi, a film about a very socially awkward Asian-American boy about to start high school and see him navigating his peer group and a first crush.  It was set in 2008, so the early childhood of the internet as well.  Some elements were a bit triggering, as I was very socially awkward at that same age, though I didn't have to deal with Yahoo or AOL groups, thank goodness.  I may circle back at a later point to discuss this in more detail.

Friday I had managed to go to the high end TPL book sale and got a few art books (Klimt, Klee & Henry Moore).  I had debating picking up a John Marin by John Marin book, but 1) I didn't have any space left in my panier and 2) there were only a handful of colour plates.  It turns out that Robarts has a copy, so I was able to check that out on Sunday, though I probably should have waited to check it out after I returned from Vancouver.  Oh well...

Then I went to work and did some GIS processing of this PSRC data.  I hope I manage to get to the point I can use it, though I think I may simply run out of time, between having to pack and order a cab (for only a few hours from now at this point...).  So I guess I really ought to break things off at this point.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment