Thursday, September 12, 2024

Busy Week, Pt 2

On Wed., I went over to Budweiser Stage to see The Killers.  I managed to get myself lost and went through Trilium Park and had to backtrack.  It does not help that there are fences everywhere and hoardings that block off some of the access points.  I wasn't in a particular rush, as the opening acts weren't particularly inspiring.  I managed to get there at 8:05, so I caught just a couple of songs from the second opener.  They were ok, but not worth getting there early...  I did like this poster, but I didn't feel like carrying it back on my bike after the show, and it's not like I have anywhere to hang it anyway.


I was sitting behind a huge guy, and that made me sad.  Then he and his girlfriend went off to get food or something, and they and some other friends shuffled seats, and I had a pretty good view.  Until the concert started and the entire stadium leapt to its feet.  There was a super tall guy two rows ahead that blocked my view of centre stage!  Plus I had no intention of standing the entire concert.  That's why I refuse to go to Phoenix.  But there really was no alternative.  So incredibly frustrating.  It was a good concert, but probably I wouldn't have paid to go had I known all the circumstances.  Anyway, Brandon certainly has charisma to burn, perhaps like Bono back in my youth when he still was fairly cool and not embarrassing.  


One thing that was curious is that they mixed up the setlist almost entirely between the Tues. show and the Wed. show.  On the whole, I think we had the better concert (and the sound issues had been fixed!).  They actually had someone in the audience come up and drum on 'For Reasons Unknown,' and he was quite good!  (I think this must be some sort of inside joke related to the fact that the drummer switches to guitar on this song for some reason.)  I only kind of wish Brandon had worn his burgundy outfit from Tues. and that they had played The Man (instead of Andy, You're a Star).  But minor quibbles.  Aside from standing the whole time, which really did irk me, it was a very good concert.  

Today, I stayed at work just a bit longer than I should have, so had to rush home to quickly eat and then head over to Coal Mine to see Annie Baker's Infinite Life.  It is a play about 5 women and 1 man who are staying at an alternative medicine clinic where they are fasting to try to cure themselves of various ailments.  In general, I like Annie Baker's work, but this did drag in bits, most likely because I don't like sitting and dwelling on pain and medical calamities, so her schtick of long pauses felt quite long indeed.  And the actual plot is pretty thin (certainly less than The Aliens, which remains my favourite play of hers).  This has about the same level of plot as John and slightly less than The Flick.  Some very, very fine performances of course, particularly Christine Horne and Nancy Palk at the end. 

I still have to try to get a few things done tonight.  Sigh.  Most likely I'll get over to MOCA tomorrow, but I don't really have a lot going on on Friday, certainly compared to the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment