Monday, October 29, 2018

Last Minute Theatre Changes

I've spent a bit of time tracking down the plays for the fall season.  This post is essentially a continuation of this one, but with a few corrections and updates.

It does not appear that Marisol is going up at York U this season.  Perhaps it will come through soon (and ideally be closer to me!).  However, Yellow Face will be staged at Cat's Eye at Victoria College (UT), but Nov. 15-17, not 1-3 as originally scheduled.  That works a bit better for me, and I'll try to make it on the 17th.

What I had almost completely forgotten about was Irish Players is doing Friel's Dancing at Lughnasa.  Indeed, this is the last week, and I'll just squeeze it in on Thurs.  Details here.

I don't know if this is going to be a recurring thing (with the new AD), but I remember that Soulpepper almost never had Sunday matinees, which I found kind of frustrating.  However, they seem to be running them for the Caryl Churchill play, and I will see if I can score some rush tickets next Sunday.  It's still very early in the run, so as long as they make any rush tickets available, I should manage to see the show.  I have to say, the full price tickets are awfully expensive, and I don't think I will go at full price.

The Wolves was a huge hit for Howland, but it has just closed (no extensions as far as I can see).  I did manage to see it fairly early in the run, and it was solid.  I am going to try to use it as inspiration to actually wrap up one of my Sing-for-Your-Supper pieces (due Wed.).

As it happens, while I was checking on SFYS deadlines, I saw that Leroy Theatre was going to be doing a double-bill of brand new George F. Walker plays at the Assembly Theatre.  I was pretty excited that I stumbled across this before it hit the airwaves.  It was a day or two later that I got an email from the company, and I booked my tickets for a couple of weeks from now.  This will probably be the second must-see show of the fall season (after The Wolves), so act now.  Tickets can be scored here.

I'm going to pass on Middletown by Will Eno at Crows Nest in November, but for Eno fans, this is one you won't want to miss.

December does look a bit thin at the moment, and perhaps I will go see Every Brilliant Thing at Canadian Stage due to lack of competition (just joking).  I'm sure I can find plenty to do to keep myself occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment