Sunday, October 28, 2018

Should I Stay (Home) or Should I Go (to the Show)?

I've been doing some retrenching in the last year.  I don't automatically go to every interesting concert any longer.  There are many reasons, but certainly the increased cost is a consideration, as well as all the darn coughing and sneezing, which is starting to take me out of the zone.  I had to dig a bit to find enough TSO concerts to make a subscription.  I've really slowed down with Tafelmusik as well, though I may see one or two shows this season.

Harder to say on the pop side of things.  I had thought pretty seriously about Simple Minds, but even the seats in the upper balcony were fairly pricey, and around that time I had my accident.

I have no idea if there are still tickets, but I had basically planned on seeing Nick Cave this evening (Sunday), but I was so turned off by how he was attacking musicians who are boycotting Israel (as it is well on its way to being an apartheid state) that I decided he didn't need my money.  Also, while it is a secondary issue, my single favorite tune off Push the Sky Away - "Higgs Boson Blues" - doesn't appear to be on the set list.

As it happens, next Friday, They Might Be Giants is in town.  It's at the Phoenix, and I'd have to stand for the entire show.  I passed on Collective Soul for the same reason, and am now kind of kicking myself, but I just don't like standing that long.  I'd do it if Camper Van Beethoven came back around, but that's about it.

Now this Monday, Skye Wallace is playing at the Dakota Tavern for only $10.  I've seen her do solo sets, and they have been solid, so I am leaning towards going.  It would be better for me if she was the opening act, but so be it.  Later that week, she is the opening act for Ron Hawkins at The Only Cafe, but all nights are sold out.  Curiously, on Nov 21, The Lowest of the Low (Hawkins' main band) is playing a fan-appreciation night at the Dakota, but you have to buy a fairly pricey vinyl box-set to prove you are a fan.  I think I'll have to pass, though I do hope the new rarities disk (Thrifty Thrifty Thrifty) gets a separate CD release in the near future.

I was going to see the Hart House Orchestra on Nov. 15, but it turns out I have a conflict with parent-teacher conferences.  The next night there is a concert at UT where they are playing Mendelssohn's Octet.  It's a good piece not performed that often, so I may go, though the tickets are certainly more expensive than I would like, if one isn't a student.  (I do wish there was some kind of alumni pricing like Hart House Theatre has, but this doesn't seem to be the case.)

The only other thing vaguely on my radar is that 54-40 is coming back to the Horseshoe Tavern for the 71st Birthday Celebration in early Dec.  I saw them last year, and they were quite good, but do I need to go a second time?  I probably will pass, but if I do go, it will be for the Thurs. show, which is $10 cheaper.

So while there is definitely a fair bit of decent music coming through town, I'm going to end up sitting out most of these shows for one reason or another.


No comments:

Post a Comment