Friday, April 12, 2019

No Gilliam

I'm just a bit frustrated at myself, but I am more frustrated by movie theatre scheduling and the weather.  Ultimately, I did bike to and from work Thurs (it was quite cold and unpleasant) and could have still turned back around and gotten to see The Man Who Killed Don Quixote last night.  However, I was really dragging, partly because I had been out late on Wed. and the weather was still gross* and, due to the late start time, I wouldn't have been home until midnight.  So I passed.

If I had had perfect foresight, I probably would have tried to flip Copenhagen at Soulpepper and Gilliam's film (since on Wed. it was showing at the much more reasonable time of 7 pm).  The weather wasn't really that great on Wed., which was the primary reason I had held out for biking back from Soulpepper.  But that might not actually have worked, since I think Thurs. may have been the official opening night of Copenhagen and was likely sold out.  (On the whole I found Copenhagen to be too talky and too artificial -- it was kind of like having three people recite the history of atomic physics as set out in Wikipedia for 2.5 hours.  There were some interesting moments, but basically I don't think this succeeds particularly well as a play.  I'm quite astonished at all the raves/awards it has gotten.)  I'm still somewhat hopeful that Gilliam's film will get another few showings next week or will head to TIFF Lightbox, but if not, I guess I will stream it.

* I think the weather impacted me more than I realized.  I was so completely fed up with the cold, drizzly weather that I sort of went into hibernation mode.  I didn't even go to the gym, though I probably should have (and I am a day short heading into the weekend).  Still, this might be the last of the really cold weather.  Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment