Saturday, April 20, 2019

Wet, Slow (Good) Friday

Canada certainly takes Good Friday pretty seriously.  I can't recall the situation in the UK, but it's probably pretty similar (unless one is in London).  At any rate, a few museums were open in Toronto, as well as the Eaton Centre, though essentially no stores near us.

I think I have been working a bit too hard without taking any time off (I have something like 6 weeks of vacation accumulated!), so I ended up just staying in and taking a short nap.  Towards the end of the afternoon, the rain had slowed down, so I went out to the gym.  Or rather I started out, but got about 1/4 of the way there and realized I hadn't put my laundry in the drier.  I didn't even have my phone with me to ask my son to toss it in.  The laundry would have been kind of gross and required rewashing, so I turned around to take care of this.  I still went out to the gym after this, and I plan to go Sunday as well.  The rain had returned on my journey home, though it wasn't coming down too hard.

I've finally finished the Selected Essays by Montaigne, and my new gym book is Grand Hotel by Vicki Baum.  As I mentioned quite a while back, the Musil is just too heavy to try to take to the gym and read on the bikes.  It's hard enough reading it on the train.  Since my copy of the Complete Essays had arrived (and I rearranged my shelves a bit), I put the Selected Essays out in the Little Free Library.  Interestingly, it only lasted a day or two.

One slightly annoying thing was that my wife had tossed out a bunch of the plastic Easter eggs, since we hadn't expected our daughter to do the neighbourhood egg hunt, but she wants to after all.  That meant I needed to get a bunch of eggs at the dollar store, but of course it wasn't open.  This is probably what ultimately drives me into being a pack rat -- the idea that I will use something again -- and it's why I will never be that interested in the cult of the home organizer, since I don't need to love something or be thrilled by it to think that I will need it again.  This meant that I needed to run over to the mall early on Sat. in order to get the eggs to get them stuffed  (and dropped off) before I could get the rest of the Sat. chores accomplished.  As I expected, the stores (and particularly the parking lots!) were very busy, since everyone had to cram everything in on Sat.  However, I managed to get my shopping done and now have a few other things to wrap up.  But I should be able to take it easy on Sunday, at least after the Easter egg hunt in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment