Sunday, June 24, 2018

At a bit of a loss (or at loose ends)

Probably you have experienced this -- when you are working extremely hard on something, then suddenly it is over, and you aren't entirely sure what to do with yourself.  That feeling hit me this weekend.  I had to work quite hard Friday evening and all of Saturday, just trying to get two presentations ready for a conference early next week.  I'm not entirely sure if I would have been more motivated to get to this earlier if I was actually going to attend, but my travel request was denied, so I am preparing the material but won't actually get to go and present my work.  Not the best feeling in the world, but I'm trying to get over it.

Anyway, I found a fairly significant error in the set-up of one of the models, so I had to rerun that in the late afternoon, but I ultimately got it all done.  Then Sunday was mostly spent on groceries and cleaning up, as we have a house guest next week.  Actually, there was a break in the rain, and I tried to take the kids to Incredibles 2, but both the shows were sold out.  I guess everyone had the exact same idea, so I guess we'll go next weekend...

It's not like I don't have more work, though even with the Fringe show, it is mostly out of my hands now (and in the hands of the director).  I'm mostly trying to do a bit more promotion here and there, but otherwise, I am done.  Now of course, I have work work (including a few things I pushed off last week) and a bunch of books to read and several other projects (including catching up on some very tardy blog posts), but it is kind of odd to think that I sort of do have a bit of time to myself for once.  Probably in just a few more days I will be feeling like I am back in the swing of things (and in fact I need to get one more presentation ready for Tuesday).

Perhaps the biggest disappointment is that I did fall off the wagon just a bit.  I had been quite good about not snacking at work (or rather only fruit and rice chips) but we threw a bit of a party (and it had actually been my idea), so I was pretty bad, snacking on the chocolate-covered pretzels.  Then I didn't get to the gym on Thurs. or Friday, and I only went on Sat.  (I do expect to go Monday, however.)  I'm trying not to get too depressed about how long it is taking to see results.  I mean I am fitting into my clothes better, but there is just a long way to go to get down a shirt size (though I did manage to get down two pant sizes, which I suppose is nothing to sneeze at).  I actually find I have less temptation during the week than the weekend, so I will in a way be looking forward to getting back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment