Sunday, July 1, 2018

Summer Music Fest

The Tafelmusik festival is already over.  I managed to catch one show.  I also saw the Kindred Spirits Orchestra.  Usually at the very end of June, they play one show at the Glenn Gould Studio at CBC.  This year I managed to get a decent shot of the piano that Glenn Gould played.



I usually don't see a lot of summer classical concerts, but this year the Toronto Summer Music Festival looks pretty good.  Details here.

Apparently for the opening concert, the Borodin String Quartet pulled out and has been replaced by the Echer Quartet.  While it looks like a fine concert, I have to be at my Fringe show, so I'll have to pass.  I think the most interesting offering is the New Orford String Quartet doing Reich's Different Trains and Crumb's Black Angels on July 24.  (This was a pairing on a Kronos Quartet CD from way back in the day.)  I actually saw Kronos Quartet doing Black Angels and just am not sure I'd want to see anyone else do it (though it is true I've never seen Kronos doing Reich's Different Trains).

Anyway, I had seriously considered catching Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.  I don't think I've seen the entire piece since 2017 (when Nicola Benedetti came through with the Venice Baroque Orchestra, whatever that is) and then before that it was in Vancouver (where it was paired with Astor Piazzolla's Estaciones Porteñas (The Four Seasons of Buenos Aires), which is itself pretty amazing).  However, all the tickets are $90, and that is outside my budget.  I will probably catch two shows -- Schubert's The Trout Quintet on July 20 and Brahms's Sextet (which I'm not sure I've heard) on August 3.  I'm quite torn over a late-night show of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time.  I just saw Amici do this last year, and I maybe can take a break.  I have another week or so to decide.  But many of the other concerts look interesting, even if I don't manage to make it out to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment